March 03, 2008

Looking for the Best: Finding Healthcare Information on the Web

For my post this week, I decided to go into the diverse world of the web and try to find informational websites on healthcare. Because of the nature of my field, my focus was mainly on websites that touch upon the topics of healthcare access and quality of care. While I did try and look for websites that looked at urban healthcare, I was only successful in finding one that really had substance. The first website that I came across was the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website. I began to look in this site because this department is responsible for the issues of healthcare within our country, so I had high hopes for this website. I was not disillusioned. This page was probably the most helpful in terms of linking me to other very helpful resources. It also provided excellent information on policies and regulations, specific populations, grants and funding and so much more. Not only did this site have a plethora of information, it is also designed for very easy navigation. From this page I was able to go to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality website. They also are very informative in areas of evidence-based medicine, effective medicine and consumer and patient issues. Within their site, they also provided links to quality report cards, which can allow patients to look at how the clinic or hospital which they are part of ranked among others in areas such as safety and surgeries. Another place where I also was able to obtain quality research data was in National Institute of Health site but it was much harder to find. From the ten sites I found, the one that was the most informative on urban healthcare was by the Urban Institute. It gives information on Community healthcare, medicaid and medicare, long term care, and insurance among other topics. It very clearly shows the links for these issues making it user friendly. Also, it provides a list of publications on healthcare issues as well as links to policy centers which I found very helpful. In general, I believe my search to have been extremely productive and hope that readers will use the links I have provided in my linkroll to become more informed in issues in healthcare, and thus make better decisions about their care.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.